Sticky Pineapple Chicken
1 large pineapple
1 tablespoon cooking oil
6 boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size squares
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic paste
100 milliliters chicken stock
Rice, to serve
Sesame seeds, to garnish
1. Using a sharp knife carefully cut the pineapple in half lengthways.
2. Using the tip of a knife cut around the edge of the pineapple being careful not to cut through the skin.
3. Slice down and across the pineapple flesh then scoop out the pineapple cubes with a spoon.
4. Discard the core and set the flesh aside.
5. In a large pan, heat the oil over a medium heat.
6. Add the chicken and season with the salt and pepper.
7. Fry for about 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
8. Take out the chicken and set aside.
9. Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic paste and fry for a couple of minutes.
10. Stir in the chicken stock.
11. Bring to a boil and then simmer, stirring occasionally.
12. Once the sauce has thickened, add the chicken and stir until evenly coated with the sauce.
13. Serve in the empty pineapple halves, along with some rice and sesame seeds.